Sunday, May 6, 2012

18 Months

I've been away from blogging for so long, that Blogger has a new look. And as with all changes, I don't like it.


I apologize for lagging behind. Juggling motherhood, a full time job, and a part time job seems to prevent me from doing the other things on my To-Do list (blogging, financial planning, wedding planning, backyard renovating, writing a Twins book, writing an adult novel, writing a teen novel, selling my children's book, and those are just the things I thought of immediately). 



So without further ado, what did the mama tomato say to the lagging baby tomato? CATCH UP!

Vacation. Riiiight.

In March we headed to Charleston for Larry's brother's wedding. We rented a home overlooking a marina, so Ren got to wake up every morning and say "BIG BOAT!" And unlike at home, where our 12 foot duck boat resides in the garage, he was right for a change. There were all sorts of yachts and mega boats that the boys and Larry could drool over from the comfort of our veranda.


This was our first trip with the boys, and I had no idea how much it would entail. My packing list was literally three pages long and we stuffed two cars full of high chairs, cribs, toys, food, and clothes. It's amazing that the babies actually fit...and that I didn't forget them, given all I had to remember. Thanks to Sasha, who recommended we take a roll of duct tape for baby proofing the rental home. Pure genius.  The house looked like a crime scene with all of the designer skull-and-crossbones duct tape I used, but at least the boys were safe.


I'm not sure where or when the actual "R&R" occurred though. I think the only way moms get a true vacation is if they go alone. And leave their cell phones and computers behind.


The following weekend we made a 10-hour trek to Cincinnati for my uncle's wedding. I had no idea how easy Charleston was until that trip. We were ALL very glad to be home the entire month of April.

"Big Boat!"

Doctor Shopping

In January I fired our pediatricians. They incorrectly coded a "procedure" performed on Ren and when I called to inform the office manager of the situation, they passed me off onto someone else who said "Well, that's the way we've done it for 10 years." And I've always driven 80 mph, but if I get caught, there will be consequences. 

I'm still not sure how to rectify the situation. Because my deductible has not been met, I paid out of pocket, so United Healthcare does not seem to care about the situation, even though they've been ripped off for 10 years. I've filed a fraud claim, and we'll see where that goes. I don't even want my money back. I just want them to stop charging people 5 times the acceptable amount.


Anyway, we found a new pediatrician. While the last shop had four doctors, this office only has one. I am excited about that, because if the boys get sick, they see their doctor, not whoever is in the office that day. Plus, there is no answering service, where someone decides whether my call is important enough to pass onto a doctor. The new pediatrician takes all emergency calls. This is how I remember my pediatrician operating, and I'm happy the boys will have a similar experience. 


At their 18 month visit, Gray measured in the 70th percentile for height! At his 15 month visit, he was only in the 30th percentile. I don't know if this is truly a big growth spurt, or just faulty measuring at the 15 month appointment (where he was suddenly a half inch shorter than he was at 12 months. When I inquired about this with the [now-fired] pediatrician, she said, "Well it's not an exact measurement. It's an estimation." Funny, because when Ren dropped off those charts, that same doctor made me feed him butter for 3 months). Gray's weight is not surprisingly in the 85th percentile. He's a big boy. But like the new pediatrician said, as long as his weight and height are in the same vicinity, it's okay. I should not cut him off of whole milk, as suggested by the previous doctors.


Ren's weight is in the 17th percentile, and his height is in the 7th. This is actually a growth spurt for him! It's so odd having twins that are so disproportionate. Most strangers in Walmart ask me if Ren is younger or they assume he is a girl. Given that these are people I meet in Walmart, it doesn't bother me too much.

Not a "big boat" but enough to scare the big boy.

Gettin' Lippy

The boys' vocabulary has exploded in the last 3 months. They surprise me daily with new words. Last week we were walking in the neighborhood past a 15 mph speed limit sign. Grayden pointed at it and yelled "FIVE!" I was floored. He's also a shape guru, saying "circle," "square," "triangle," "rectangle," "oval," and "star." While Ren can identify all of these shapes, he doesn't vocalize them yet. But he is the animal sound expert---he even knows how to hiss like a snake. 


I am excited to watch all of these changes but a little sad, too. Not only because the boys tell me "No," now, but also because it's quite clear they are almost little boys and no longer babies.




"SIDE! SIDE!" 

We've turned our front yard into a children's wonderland (I stay out of the backyard because of snakes and the aforementioned lack of backyard renovations). The boys have a sandbox, water table, pool, and assorted yard toys. So at some point every day, we start hearing the chant of "SIDE! SIDE! SIDE!" indicating that the have had enough of their indoor wonderland and want to venture into the great outdoors. 


At first I had trouble keeping them under control. One would run east, the other south, and as Sasha said, you're forced to decide who to save. We even rigged up a clothesline which I strung backpack harnesses to so that they had some outdoor time when I was alone with them. But they are listening better, and on good days, I'm brave enough to take them outside on my own without any restraints. On good days. 


















2 comments:

  1. Hi! It was so good to "hear" from you after so long! The boys seem to be doing great. Gabbie will have her 18 month appointment in the end of the month. We are looking forward to it, hopefully she exists in the weight charts now!

    By the way, I tried watching the video but it says it is private and it won't let me :-(

    Stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula! Little Ren is barely on the charts, so I know how you worry. I keep checking in on Gabbie Girl. She is so cute. Try the video again. It should work now, I hope!

      Delete